THE DIRECTORATE OF ACADEMIC PLANNING AND MONITORING UNIT
The Academic Planning and Monitoring Unit is the quality assurance organ of the University under the Vice-Chancellor’s office. The Unit is headed by a Director assisted by three other Management Staff.
FUNCTIONS OF DIRECTORATE OF ACADEMIC PLANNING AND MONITORING
1. Provision of leadership for the academic planning processes and the preparation and revision of University academic brief.
2. Develop definitions and criteria for use in academic planning processes and resource management, and updating or adjusting plans to fiscal realities.
3. Co-ordination of academic, research and outreach programmes of the University.
4. Revision and analyzing existing and proposed teaching and outreach programmes; research projects, and External Examiners Reports in connection with the physical, administrative and budgetary requirements.
5. Ensuring the maintenance of high standards in all the University’s programmes of study through periodic curricular review and revision.
6. Maintaining a data base (staff statistics, student enrolment and graduation statistics, staff and student work load, financial data, library holdings, external linkages, other resources-equipment, supplies, etc) for use in physical and academic planning, budgeting, and other management requirements.
7. Participating in the preparation of University Quinquennial Development Plans, Annual budget and other special reports, e.g. Management Analysis; Research Findings.
8. Initiating academic and research linkages and technical cooperation between Departments in the University; with other Universities; Governments and their agencies; International organizations; industries, and other bodies.
9. Assisting in identifying major teaching and research needs of Departments including equipment procurement and maintenance, and alternative sources of revenue generation.
10. Developing an effective system for attracting financial and other support for the academic programmes of the University.
11. Highlighting and protecting individual and group research achievements through seeking patents and nominations for various national and international exhibitions and awards.
12. Promoting utilization of the University’s vast research results by government, industry and others.
MANAGEMENT TEAM OF THE DIRECTORATE OF ACADEMIC PLANNING AND MONITORING
The Directorate of Academic Planning and Monitoring has the following Management team:
(i) Director – Prof. Kabir Bala
The Director is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor. He is to provide effective leadership necessary for the realization of the objective of the Directorate by ensuring that staffs perform their duties and functions diligently.
(ii) Deputy Director – Dr. Sani Idris
The Deputy Director is responsible to the Director in the discharge of his functions. He holds brief for the Director in his absence. He assists the Director in carrying out the monitoring function of the Directorate to ensure high academic standard. He also assists the Director in the discharge of the following functions:
- facilitating the process of periodic curricular review
- evaluation of proposals for new academic Programmes/Departments
- affiliation with other Institutions, among others.
(iii) The Assistant Director – Dr. Mike Duru
The Assistant Director is also responsible to the Director in carrying out his functions and duties. He represents the Director in coordinating the research activities of the Directorate. He assists the Director in the following functions of the Directorate:
- coordination of academic Programmes and research activities
- initiating the process, preparation, and revision of University academic brief.
- periodic assessment of teaching/learning facilities
- maintaining a data base for effective planning.
(iv) Administrative Secretary – Yakubu A. Anivbassa
The Administrative Secretary is equally responsible to the Director in the discharge of all the administrative functions of the Directorate. He assists the Director in the effective running of the Directorate through the following functions, amongst others:
- Advises the Director on administrative issues/matters.
- Handles the correspondences of the Directorate on behalf of the Director.
- Supervise the Staff of the Directorate and assigns them their schedule of duties,
- Custodian of records of the Directorate.
- Serve as Secretary to the following Committees;
1. University Board of Research (UBR)
2. Academic Planning Committee (APC)
3. University Accreditation Committee
4. Step-B Project Monitoring Committee
5. Sub-Committee on Dissertation Completion of Macarthur Grant.
The Directorate of Academic Planning and Monitoring ensures that academic Programmes, content, resources and facilities are sufficient, relevant, adequate and of the highest quality –necessary to create the enabling teaching/learning environment for the attainment of the desired academic excellence.Go to Top
The Directorate of Academic Planning and Monitoring was established to promote and maintain academic excellence through effective teaching and learning, and the conduct of quality research.Go to Top