Department Of Paediatrics
a. Graduation of high quality and internationally acceptable medical doctors and specialists in all fields of Paediatrics, by way of high quality residency programme, M.Sc., and Ph.D. in all relevant subspecialties.
b. Promotion of the field of paediatrics through high quality researches of international standards, but that are also relevant to the local society.
c. Good interaction with the community in which the department is situated through the provision of high quality preventive and curative specialist clinical services. These services are to be enhanced through the conduct of high quality operational researches looking into commonly encountered problems in the locality.
d. A department of international standards and repute.
e. Good quality specialist teaching and non-specialist staff, with the approved ratio of specialist to intern obtaining in the department.
f. Up-to-date healthcare delivery and teaching facilities and aids.
g. Specialized clinical laboratories for enhanced healthcare delivery and clinical researches.
h. Subspecialties in the department, e.g. paediatric cardiology, paediatric endocrinology, paediatric haematology and oncology, etc.
2. The Department of Paediatrics offers Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Medicine (M.B.,B.S) as the sole undergraduate course.
3. The Department trains postgraduate doctors in the National Postgraduate Medical College and the West African Postgraduate Medical College. At the end of the training, which last an average of 4-6 years, and a series of intensive examinations and thesis-writing, the candidates are pronounced specialists and are awarded fellowships of either or both colleges.
4. The Department is in the process of developing programmes that will results in awards of diplomas in various areas in the field of Paediatrics.
5. The department is involved in a university-sponsored project titled “Cerebral Malaria in Children in Zaria and Kaduna: Epidemiology, Clinical Spectrum and Outcome”.
6. The Department of Paediatrics is currently staffed by 3 professors, 4 senior lecturers, 7 lecturers I, and 2 lecturers II. They are supported by 4 non-academic staff members.