Department Of Public Administration
The Department of Public Administration is one of the pioneering units and, indeed, an early pillar of Ahmadu Bello University. It was established as far back as 1962 when the Ahmadu Bello University came into existence. The Department offers courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels; designed short-term duration courses for the satisfaction of our immediate environment and professional training programmes for practicing or would-be administrators in the public and private sectors.
Specifically, its academic programmes range from short term professional courses (AMTC, MMTC, ADPA) to B.A. Public Administration, Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration (PGDPA), Master of Pubic Administration (MPA) and PhD in Public Administration.
The society has great yearning for the services the department often. The postgraduate programmes (PGDPA, MPA, M.Sc. & PhD) are intended to produce people with a thorough academic grounding in administrative studies. The professional programme seeks to develop the administrative capabilities of promising administrators as well as effectiveness of graduates of other academic fields as they assume increasing administrative responsibilities.
The academic and professional courses of the Department expose the graduates to in-depth knowledge in Development Administration, Economic Planning, Project Evaluation, Public Policy Analysis, Public Financial Management, Public Enterprises Management, Social Welfare Administration, Human Resource Management, as well as general administrative and organization analysis.
2. 0 Values
The Department cherishes the following:
I. Strong and formidable working team.
II. Production of highly competent, intellectually sound managers and administrators who are responsive to societal needs and instrumental to accountability and transparency in the public and private sectors.
5. 0 Past and Present Heads of the Department
The Department has experienced the leadership potentials of the following:
S/N Name Period
1. Mr. Kirk Green (British) 1962-1971
2. Prof. Harris Green (British) 1971-1975
3. Prof. A.R. Tyagi (Indian) 1975-1977
4. Prof. P.C. Daudu (Nigerian) 1977-1980
5. Dr. Ibrahim Abdulsalami (Nigerian)1980-1989
6. Dr. J.B. Longe (Nigerian) 1989-1991
7. Prof. Ibrahim Abdulsalami (Nigerian) 1991-1992
8. Prof. J.B. Longe (Nigerian) 1992-1996
9. Dr. Ibrahim Omale (Nigerian) 1996-1996
10. Dr. S.M. Ngu (Nigerian) 1996-1999
11. Mr. Yakubu Sankey (Nigerian) 1999-2002
12. Prof. Halidu Abubakar (Nigerian)2001-2002
13. Alh. Ibrahim Adamu (Nigerian) 2002 -2004
14. Dr. A.A. Anyebe (Nigerian) 2004-2006
15. Dr. S. M. Ngu (Nigerian) 2006 – 2009
16. Dr. Sani Abdullahi (Nigerian) 2010
17. Dr. S. B. Abdulkarim (Nigerian) 2010- Date
Generating and disseminating new knowledge in administration through teaching, research and community services that will address the values, culture, traditions, needs and aspiration of the societies in which we live. This will lead to the production of qualitative graduates, who are disciplined and sensitive to probity, accountability and transparency in both private and public sectors.Go to Top
The philosophy of the programme is to impart knowledge and learning of international standard in Public Administration to men and women of all races without any distinction on grounds of race, gender, religious or political beliefs.Go to Top
Academic ProgrammesB.A. Public Administration
PGD Public Administration (Part-Time)
M.Sc Public Administration (Full-Time)
Masters in Public Administration (Full-Time)
Masters in Public Administration (Part-Time)
Ph.D Public Administration (Full-Time)
Go to Top