Center for Biotechnology Research and Training
The Centre was established with the following objectives:
- Provide training facilities in molecular biology techniques to postgraduates and post-doctoral level students.
- Conduct basic and applied research in the areas of medical, agricultural, pharmaceutical and veterinary sciences.
- Provide molecular diagnostic facilities for Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals, Veterinary Teaching Hospitals, and other referrals.
- Provide full complement of equipment and facilities for teaching and research in the areas of recombinant DNA technology, Cell and Tissue Culture and Immunology.
- Enhance overall research capacity development and state of the art laboratory. The Centre has highly trained scientists who have had training in the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, United States of America, France, Canada, India, etc. The Centre has five laboratories with state of the art facilities. Also, it has a conference room, and library with internet facility installed.
- The Centre for Biotechnology Research and Training, Ahmadu Bello University is considered as the Regional Head Office of the North West Zone for all Biotechnology Centres in Nigeria by National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA) Abuja.
The Centre has in recent times conducted training for staff on aspects of PCR, Electrophoresis, DNA and protein protocols, ELISA, etc. It has also lined up a set of training activities to cover requested areas of interest.
The Centre has not only been training scientists within the zone, but include all other zones nationally.
Thus far, the Centre has trained one hundred and sixty seven (167) scientists from various universities, polytechnics and other institutions including Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.