This faculty is home to departments shown on the right nagivation. Use the links below to find out about the faculty or click on any department (see right nagivation) for information about the department.
The Faculty of Science is located within the core of the Main Campus, Samaru. It was established at the founding of the Ahmadu Bello University in 1962. The Faculty started with six departments and has grown over the past forty nine years into not only one of the largest faculties in the University with nine degree awarding departments, but also one of the largest faculties of science in any Nigerian University.
The foundation Departments were Botany, Chemistry, Geography, Mathematics, Physics and Zoology. The Departments of Botany and Zoology were later merged into the Department of Biological Sciences. The Departments of Geology and Microbiology were created in 1969 followed by Biochemistry in 1975 and Textile Science and Technology in 1980.
It is of interest to note that the present Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences as well as the Department of Chemical Engineering were conceived and nurtured in the Faculty of Science. The Centre for Energy Research and Training and the Computer Centre were also formerly part of the Faculty of Science.
The Faculty has grown tremendously over the years and now has staff strength of 261 academic staff which includes 50 fully fledged professors, 16 Readers, 40 Senior Lecturers, 38 Lecturer I, 29 Lecturer II, 62 Assistant Lecturers, 27 Graduate
Assistants, 83 Senior Technologist/Technical Staff, 36 Senior Administrative and 7 Junior Staff in the Nine Departments.
The Faculty offers four-year degree courses leading to a B.Sc. (Hons) degree in single subjects in all departments of the faculty except for Textile Science and Technology, which offers a 5-year degree programme. The Faculty also offers postgraduate diploma courses in some of its departments. Some courses in the Faculty are also combined with Education for a B.Sc. (Education) degree or a B.Ed. (Science Education) degree. The Faculty offers postgraduate programmes up to Ph.D. level in all her nine departments. The Faculty turned out its first set of graduates in 1965 and has since produced high quality graduates at first and higher degrees who have been making their contributions to various sectors of the Nigerian economy and to the international community at large.
Some of the courses in the Faculty especially at the 100 level are also given as part of the degree programmes in Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Agriculture, Environmental Design, Education and some other Faculties.
Faculty of Science has made alumni from the following departments:
(i) Department of Biological Sciences
(1) Dr. Aminu Raji, Executive Director, National Freshwater and Fishery Research Institute (NIFFRI), New Bussa, Niger State.
(2) Ibrahim Alfa, Director, Federal Ministry of Environment, Abuja.
(3) Peter Mamza, Director, Federal Ministry of Environment, Abuja.
(4) Alhaji Aba Yakubu, President, Fishery Society of Nigeria (FISON), Abuja.
(5) Mr. Jarafu Mamza, Department of Biological Sciences, Adamawa State University, Mubi, Adamawa State. Formerly, Director, National Park Services, Abuja.
(6) Dr. S.A. Manu, Director, A.P. Leventis Ornithological Research Institute, UniJos, Jos.
(7) Sunday Isiyaku, Country Director, Sight Savers International, Abuja, Nigeria.
(8) Abdul Shehu Beri, Federal Ministry of Commerce, Abuja.
(9) All Professors in the Department.
(ii) Department of Chemistry
(1) Prof. J.N. Akanya, Director General, Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON), Abuja.
(2) Prof. S.A. Thomas, Director General, Sheda Science and Technology Complex (SHESTCO), Abuja.
(3) Dr. O.P. Obande, Director, Federal Civil Service Commission, Abuja.
(4) Dr. A.N. Yabani, Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja.
(5) Dr. (Mrs.) S.B. Dikko-James, National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos.
(6) Dr. M.M. Barau, Rector, Federal Polytechnic, Mubi, Adamawa State.
(7) Mr. A. Oniwon, Group Managing Director, Nigerian National Petroleum Company, Abuja.
(8) Dr. (Mrs.) H. Muda-Lawal, Ministry of Women’s Affairs, Abuja.
(9) Dr. (Mrs.) M.K. Ladipo-Ibieye, Rector, Yaba College of Technology, Lagos.
(10) Dr. I.K. Adamu, Provost, Federal College of Leather Technology, Zaria.
(11) Hajia H.Z. Omenesa, Provost, Division of Agricultural College, Zaria.
(12) Prof. J.T. Ayodele, Department of Chemistry, Bayero University, Kano.
(13) Prof. (Mrs.) W.F. Abdulrahman, Department of Chemistry, Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto.
(14) Prof. (Mrs.) L.G. Abdullahi, Department of Chemistry, University of Abuja.
(15) Prof. J.N. Egila, Department of Chemistry, University of Jos, Jos.
(16) Prof. M.A. Mesubi, BOWEN University, Iwo, Osun State.
(17) Prof. J.O. Amupitan, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(18) Prof. C.E. Gimba, Head, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(19) Prof. J.A. Kagbu, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(20) Prof. A.O. Oyewale, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(21) Prof. (Mrs.) E.B. Agbaji, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(22) Prof. J.F. Iyun, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(23) Prof. V.O. Ajibola, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(24) Prof. E.J. Ekanem, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(25) Prof. I.G. Ndukwe, Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(26) Prof. O.A. Peter, National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos.
(27) Prof. N.Y. Lohdip, Department of Chemistry, University of Jos, Jos.
(28) Prof. V.I.E. Ajiwe, Department of Chemistry, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
(29) Dr. P.O. Ukoha, Department of Chemistry, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
(30) Dr. A.Q. Ibrahim, Chemistry Programme ATBU, Bauchi.
(31) Dr. Kabir M. Galadanchi, National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos.
(32) Prof. E.G. Kolawale, Department of Textiles Science and Technology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(33) Prof. J.Y. Olayemi, No. 11, Ilofa Road, GRA, Ilorin.
(iii) Department of Geography
(1) Senator Esther Nenadi Usman, former Commissioner Kaduna State, former Federal Minister of State for Finance, former Minister of Finance and Senator, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
(2) Prof. Jerry Gana, former MAMSER Director, former Minister of Information.
(3) Dr. Lazarus Gaza, Director, Federal Capital Territory Christian Pilgrims Welfare Board, Abuja.
(4) Alhaji Diggi, former General/CEO, National Boundary Commission, Abuja.
(5) Hon. Umar Musa Ma’ali, former Speaker Niger State House of Assembly.
(6) Hon. Bawa Usman, Member National House of Representative, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
(iv) Department of Geology
(1) Mr. Bashir Jev, General Manager, Shell Oil Company.
(2) Prof. E.A. Okosun, Federal University of Technology, Minna.
(3) Prof. S.I. Abaa, former PDT Chair Professor, University of Maiduguri, now in Benue State University.
(4) Prof. N.G. Obaje, Dean, Faculty and Head of Department, IBB State University, Minna.
(5) Mr. George Osahun, former Group General Manager, NAPIMS – NNPC, 8/10, Bayo Kuku Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.
(6) Prof. I. Garba, Vice Chancellor, Kano University of Science and Technology (KUST), Wudil, Kano State.
(7) Prof. I.I. Funtua, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
(8) Alhaji Isa Mohammed, Hansadiq Nigeria Ltd, Kano, Kano State.
(9) Alhaji Bashir Saidu, Director, hydrology and Hydrogeology, Ministry of Water Resources, Kano State.
(10) Mr. A.W. Obaje, Director, Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), Lagos.
(11) Dr. E.A. Adamu, Executive Director, Dams and Reservoirs Operations, Federal Ministry of Water Resources, Abuja.
(12) Mr. James Yero, Project Manager, Water and Sanitation Project, Kaduna, Kaduna State.
(13) Mamman Abubakar Gege, Managing Director, Ruwasa, Katsina, Katsina State.
Academic ProgrammesB.Sc. Biochemistry